PySymbolic - Doing Symbolics in Python
by Pearu Peterson
PySymbolic provides a tool for doing elementary symbolic calculations in Python.
THIS PROJECT IS OBSOLETE!!! Use PyGiNaC instead.
The kernel part of PySymbolic (
Kernel.py) is almost
complete. It uses very fast GMP arbitrary precision
integers/rational numbers and multi-precision floats for Number
instances. (Initial tests show that PySymbolic will be faster than any
other symbolic package, e.g. see the test-site of
MPFR). TODO for the kernel: implement Function class, more
elementary functions, evaluation of functions, finish complex numbers,
After the PySymbolic kernel is finished, we can start to implement
extensions. They should cover the following topics:
- This is simple, done many times and will do again when kernel
provides the Function class
- This is not simple. Need a criterion for the notion of
"simplicity". And such that it can be effectively
implemented. Suggestions/links are welcome!
- Factorization of polynomials is desired. For that we
need Gröbner basis implementation. I have many references for
that, both theory and implementations, but it seems that it we need
to implement it directly in Python. NTL should be used for
factoring uni-variate polynomials over integers (need volunteers
for wrapping NTL to Python!). See also GROEBNER
that is free C library.
- Linear Algebra
- Implement Matrix,Vector,Tensor classes. Symbolically calculate
determinants, inverse matrices, various decompositions (QR, SVD,
etc), solve eigenvalue problems,etc. Theory is simple, just need
lots of code. Contributions are welcome!
- Theory is complex but I have references to algorithms. So, it
just needs implementation.
- It is involved topic but I have references to
- Both finite and infinite (series). Implement hyper-geometric
- Asymptotic tools
- Taylor,Laurent,etc series. O symbol.
- Solve equations. Roots.
- Linear equations are "simple". Also polynomial equations --- use
Gröbner basis stuff.
- Implement Set class in kernel (or in C for efficiency). It might
be useful also for other extensions.
- Write Symbolic expressions in Latex,XML,MathML. And vice
- Special functions
- Symbolic manipulation with them, evaluation,
There is a mailing list pysymbolic-users
available for the users of the
- Python 2.0
- GMPY --- the GNU MP-3 interface to
Python. Thanks to Alex Martelli!
- (MPFR --- we are working on it)
pysymbolic program and it is open
for discussion, questions, and answers. You can subscribe the list here.
- Snapshots of the pre-release (obsolete, get it directly from CVS):
pysymbolic is being developed under CVS and those who are interested in
the really latest version of
pysymbolic (possibly unstable) can
get it from the repository as follows:
You can browse
- First you need to login (the password is
> cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/home/cvs login
- and then do the checkout:
> cvs -z6 -d :pserver:email@example.com:/home/cvs checkout pysymbolic
- In the directory
pysymbolic you can get the updates by
> cvs -z6 update -P -d
pysymbolic CVS repository here.
Viimati muudetud: Aug 14 12:31:15 EEST 2001
Submit this page for validation